Jury spares Delbarton School from having to pay punitive damages in sex abuse case
(NBC) The New Jersey jury that made history last week by awarding $5 million in damages to a Delbarton School graduate who claimed a monk sexually assaulted him decided Thursday not to impose further penalties on the elite Catholic prep school.
Statement from Abbot Jonathan Licari and Fr. Michael Tidd
We are pleased and grateful that the jury in the punitive damages phase of this trial unanimously found that St. Mary’s Abbey and Delbarton School are not liable for punitive damages. The jury’s verdict in this phase of the trial is consistent with what they found earlier in the compensatory portion of the trial: St. […]
Delbarton jury starts deliberations on punitive damages in sex assault trial
(Morristown Daily Record) — Jurors resumed deliberations Wednesday to consider punitive damages against the Delbarton School, a week after awarding $5 million to a former student who said he was sexually abused by a priest in 1976.
Punitive award after clergy abuse verdict ‘could put us out of business,’ Delbarton says
MORRISTOWN − Facing potentially devastating punitive damages in the wake of a landmark $5 million compensatory verdict for a former student who said he was sexually abused by a monk at the Delbarton School, the headmaster of the exclusive boys’ prep school testified that another large monetary award “could put us out of business.”
Delbarton warns huge damages could kill the school as jury weighs punishment
The same civil jury that last week awarded $5 million to a Delbarton School graduate who said he was molested by a monk in 1976 returned to Superior Court in Morristown on Tuesday to decide whether to impose punitive damages against the former monk and the Benedictine order that runs the Morris Township prep school.
Delbarton’s Message on Verdict
This lawsuit was the first civil sex abuse case against the Catholic Church in New Jersey to go to trial under a 2019 law that revived older, previously expired civil claims, allowing alleged victims of child sex abuse to sue. As disappointed as we are in the verdict, we appreciate the hard work over the […]
A Message from the Abbot and Headmaster
Dear Delbarton Community, When we last wrote to you on August 15, a lawsuit against St. Mary’s Abbey and Delbarton School was about to be tried in Morris County Superior Court. The suit was filed in 2017 and deals with an alleged incident of sexual abuse in January 1976 that involved a former monk who […]
Delbarton School sex abuse trial begins
This week marks a historic moment in New Jersey, with the first civil sex abuse case against the Catholic Church in the state to go to trial. At issue is a string of accusations against the Delbarton School, a prominent Catholic college-preparatory school in Morristown.
Former Delbarton School leader, Catholic bishop seeking to replace Archbishop faces scrutiny over sexual abuse scandal
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) is calling for transparency about the actions of Auxiliary Bishop Elias R. Lorenzo, a potential successor to Archbishop of Newark Cardinal Joseph W. Tobin, while he was a leader at Delbarton School.
Sex abuse lawsuit against elite Delbarton…
“After the initial lawsuits in 2018, more than 30 more people have come forward with allegations of sexual abuse against the school’s monks and have either filed their own lawsuits or joined existing cases.” – Greg Gianforcaro
April, 2013 Letter Regarding Jonathan Licari
[Note: Original post is here: Link] Fr. Licari’s dismissal from the board was due to an alleged incident of sexual misconduct. My recollection, from conversations with you and others, was that Fr. Licari was accused of making inappropriate contact with a minor while he served as pastor at Holy Name Parish in Medina, Minnesota. It […]
